Sunday, September 13, 2009

kidney stones

Many years ago I started producing kidney stones. The first few were bewildering, and I thought I would die from the pain. After a few more, I learned to have percocet on hand all the time, to keep myself on meds, and that I could live through it. In 2005 I passed/tried to pass a kidney stone nearly every month. (12 that year, including on my anniversary, mothers day, memorial day, birthday, christmas, and nearly every other holiday.) Luckily, i saw a new urologist who put me on medication to try to cure me of kidney stones. It has been working great, until now. After 4 years without a stone, I got a doosy! 6x8 mm.

I woke up last sunday morning in pain. I thought maybe uti, maybe kidney stone (similar symptons at first). It was 3 am. Bryce needed the sleep for sunday, so i quietly drove myself to the emergency room. Quickly diagnosed as a kidney stone, the ER Dr told me that it was too large to be passed. But that since it was a holiday weekend, no one would do anything to help until Tues. Great. First day of school was Tuesday.

I got some pain control meds and Bryce picked me up. (Had nice, pain killing, controlled substances flowing thru my veins by this point, so I couldnt drive.)

Tried to recover, rest, etc for the next few days. Tuesday I started school, with plenty of medication to keep me going. Late that afternoon, the counselor took my class while I went to a dr appt. I convinced the Dr to blast the stone the next day. I arranged a sub for the 2ND DAY OF SCHOOL.

On Wed, the dr put me under and tried to blast the stone that was big enough that it had barely moved down the uretor. It popped back into the kidney. He blasted it there, but had to leave all fragments, that I am supposed to pass now. He put in a stint, which is nearly as painful as the stupid stone. I have to have that in for 10 days

So now, I am in constant discomfort, nearly always in pain, not passing anything at all, on vicoden 24/7 just so I can function. Teaching every day. Stressed out. And I think that life isnt so hot right now.

Even quilting isnt fun. This is the bad. There is no good. No quilts. Just bad this time.

1 comment:

  1. your life is miserable, that is a fact. good thing is that i love you and pray for you and that this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete

Followers